Sunday, June 27, 2010

Moving into Home stay

First of all i skipped a few days just because there is so much going on here. I get lots of work and i had a test yesterday.
Everything that was really important happened at 1:00 so i will start my day there. at 1:00 we had a meeting about our host families and what we should anticipate we were told all about how we need to respect Chinese culture and about when to give gifts and such, nobody was really listeneing though because we were all so excited for the host family activities. after that got over it was about 1:45 and we were told to go take a nap or something until 2:30 when we were going to be assigned to our home-stay families. this made it more difficult for them to do the presentation. so they went over a few minutes which made everybody even more anxious. after that we filed in and formed up a line and all the males were called out first which was made especially awkward by the fact that my last name is Santolucito and that was the last one due to the nature of an alphabetized list. after that i met my host father and we went to my room and gathered my bags and we took a cab to get to our compound. after that we went up ten floors to our area. when i went inside i had to put on these like slipper things that were a little wierd and i found out that all chinese homes have these and walk inside with shoes or socks is not acceptable and that if u are inside u wear these slipper things they were kind of like flip flops but slippers. so that was interesting. after i got all unpacked i gave my host family the gifts that i brought for them. they liked the inflatable globe that i could use to show them where i was from a lot. after that i did some of my homework which was to create sentences from some of the vocabulary that we had. after i worked on my homework for a little while at 5:30 we ate dinner which was very good they retaught me how to use chopsticks telling me that the way i was using was the american way of using chopsticks and that i needed to learn the real way of using chopsticks which was the Chinese way in which the placement of one finger is minutely different but that was fun to relearn something even if it did make me look like an idiot at the dinner table. i have noticed that the chinese host family i am with constantly has th television on. i have yet to see it off and on top of that they seem to like to take pictures, lots and lots of pictures. While i was eating dinner, granted that i was having great difficulty eating with this new and "improved" way of using chopsticks, the host family just kept getting me to eat more and more and more. i ate more than i ad ever ate before. i didnt even know i could eat so much. for example there was one dish which i knew was pretty common in china it is a a kind of soup that has tomatoes and eggs in it like scrambled eggs and fourths of tomatoes it was good but they put the serving bowl in front of me and i started to put it in my bowl but then they said no no no that bowl is for you and they had serving bowl sized dishes that they wanted me to eat all of, my mother brother and father all shared another set of serving bowl sized dishes and then id i was i was full they would get defensive and ask me what they did wrong in the cooking process and why i didnt like it and on and on about how i needed to "chi yi dian duo" eat a little more. i am so stuffed anyway after that i opened up skype and talked with my grandmother and mother and brother and ended up translating. and that was about all of my day i will try and keep writing

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being so diligent with writing. I know you will enjoy re-reading your blog, very much when you come back.
    You seemed so happy with your new family. It made me very very happy to see you and your host family excited.
    You were also quite an expert translator. Mark and I were very surprised at your fluidity and skill level. Impressive.
    Keep up the good work, study hard, have fun, and maybe go for a run in the mornings.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed hearing you speaking Chinese, how amazingly good you are!!! I had no idea you could do translating so well. Your Chinese Family seems very nice and it looks to me that they are trying to make you comfortable and welcome: I think that's why they are trying to stuff you with food ( just how the Greek families do with honored guest back in Greece) We also truly appreciated e-mailing us the last pictures of you and your Chinese family with whome you are staying with. Please give them our regards, also let them know how nice it was to be able to see them for a little bit and liked very much saying hallo to them.
    John, its such joy reading your blog and have you sharing these wonderful experiences with us!! lots of love & xoxo Nana

    ReplyDelete